Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Not In Kansas Anymore...

Yes, I'm alive. Yes, I have made it to Moscow. And yes, I have drink-ed some vodka.

So far, it's been a long and interesting ordeal. There was apparently some problem with the dorms...something like three seperate explosions. I don't know. Niether do they. It's Russia. That's what I keep saying to myself.

Basically, my fellow travelers and I have been moved to a seperate building slightly more south of the Main Building of Moscow State University. It looks really run down on the outside, and the condition of the rooms vary from block to block. I am stuck in a double, which is pretty small comparred to Marist dorms, but the singles aren't too bad. Because of this situation, I don't have internet in my room, and the "computer lab" in this building has some pretty old computers...Windows 98 actually. The connection is pretty slow as well, so all of you complaining that it takes five more seconds for a page to reveal its glorious beauty, please, take a breadth, and think of yours truely suffering on some post-Soviet piece of you-know-what that was probably donated by a very generous charity in the U.S. during the mid-90s.

I will post some pictures (yes, I visited Red Square), but that will come later. I don't know how much later...maybe soon, hopefully.

Also, I must say that I am learning about the "Russian way," that is that nobody seems to be on time for anything. If someone tells you they are running ten minutes late, it's usually good to multiply that by two, and add ten, which in this case would translate to about 30 minutes. I like to add another five minutes, just for snow.

And yeah. Snow. Lots of snow! That's really all I have to say about that.

The language barrier can get in the way sometimes, but luckly there are some nice fluent speaking people that have come along with us as well.

I will try to keep this updated as much as possible now that I have some kind of internet access.

I love you guys!

P.S. - No, I have not found a fencing place yet. But at some point I will actually get around to looking. It's the Russian way....

2 comments:

Nik said...

Funny you should post this now, we're in the middle of a frantic snow/ice storm.

Ah, computerless, how sad. I also enjoy the phrase "The russian way" I shall attempt to work that into conversation.

Gina said...

Look I made an account just for you. Anyways, Russia is exactly how you describe it. Good luck with the Internet issue. What did you mean by the explosions in the dorms? If you need, I can always introduce you to my grandma's brother. He speaks English, maybe he can help you with stuff. He has kids around our age.
Good luck over there. Make good use of that curse dictionary. :)